THIS EVENT TOOK PLACE ON WEDNESDAY 7 NOVEMBER 2018
Collections are significant assets for galleries, both in terms of their cultural and financial value. The professional care for and management of a collection is critical. Good practices ensure works are appropriately cared for so they may be enjoyed by future generations, and also facilitates improved community access and engagement.
Through this one day program, participants will brush up on a number of current and emerging issues. The Department of Communications and the Arts will provide a refresher on the restrictions and requirements of Cultural Gifts, which are vital to the growth of many collections, and will also discuss the Protection of Cultural Objects on Loan for works borrowed from overseas lenders for temporary public exhibition in Australia.
RMIT along with Bundoora Homestead Art Centre will provide case studies and tips for digitising your collection, including the importance of metadata and how to achieve online accessibility. The Art Gallery of Ballarat will discuss a recent experience in deaccessioning a work from its collection.
The session will conclude with a guided tour of the refurbished back of house and collection stores of the Gippsland Art Gallery, along with their current exhibitions, the John Leslie Art Prize and Kevin Lincoln’s Impressions of Gippsland.
Jon Buckingham, Collections Coordinator, RMIT Gallery
Simon Gregg, Director, Gippsland Art Gallery
Ella Hughes, Gallery Director, Bundoora Homestead Art Centre
Erin Mathews, Curator, Gippsland Art Gallery
Lindsay Roberts, Technician, Gippsland Art Gallery
Anne Rowland, Co-Registrar, Art Gallery of Ballarat
Wednesday 7 November 2018, 10.00am - 3:30pm
Gippsland Art Gallery
70 Foster Street
Sale VIC 3850
Prices and booking
- PGAV Member $330 / Non-Member $440
- PGAV Members can also access exclusive 2018 Professional Development Program Four Session Packages. Packages cost $1122, delivering a 15% saving, and provide our Member galleries with flexibility – pick any four sessions throughout the year for one of your staff to attend!
- All costs are GST inclusive
- Registrations close Wednesday 31 October 2018 at 12 noon.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
- Registered participants that are no longer able to attend may nominate a substitute up until the starting time. Where possible, please notify the PGAV of substitutions and cancellations by email, up until Wednesday 31 October 2018 at 12 noon.
- Cancellations received before Wednesday 31 October 2018 at 12 noon will be refunded, less an administration fee of $55 including GST.
- Cancellations received after Wednesday 31 October 2018 at 12 noon are not refundable.
- Exceptions are at the discretion of the PGAV.
Documentation Permission and usage Statement
The Public Galleries Association of Victoria likes to promote its events to PGAV members and the public via its website, emails and social media. When we run PGAV events, photographs, video footage, and audio recordings may be taken. PGAV may use, reproduce, publish, or broadcast this content for promotional purposes. By entering a PGAV event, you consent to PGAV's use of the content in this way. If you do not wish to be photographed or filmed for these purposes, please advise a staff member at the time, or email email@example.com with details of your concern. You may also request removal of content from the website or social media via this email address.
Image: Peter MADDEN, Sleep with Moths II, 2008, mixed media, 58 x 76 x 66cm. Collection Gippsland Art Gallery. Donated by Janie Michell through the Australian Government Cultural Gifts Program.