The Whitehorse Art Collection represents a significant community, cultural and educational resource for all. The Collection is of historical significance with a core of works created in the late nineteenth century. Painted ‘en plein air’, some of these Australian Impressionist works were created at the Box Hill Artists’ Camp (1885-88).
Established in 1927, the Collection comprises works by significant artists of the nineteenth and early twentieth century; and contemporary works by living artists completed in a variety of media including paintings, photographs and original prints, ceramics and textiles. It also includes commissioned site-specific sculptures.