The Australian Public Galleries Snapshot collates the data of 197 of our country’s estimated 408 small-to-medium public galleries. Published by the National Public Galleries Alliance, this report is the most detailed overview of our sector to date.
Australian Public Galleries at a glance
[based on available data]:
- Local Government is the largest investor in small-to-medium public galleries (51% of the 197 public galleries captured in the Snapshot are owned or operated by Local Government).
- Small-to-medium public galleries employ more than 900 FTE staff.
- Annually, over 16.5 million people visit our country’s public galleries including state, territory and national public gallery institutions.
- 44% of visitation is to small-to-medium public galleries in regional areas, compared to 56% to small-to-medium public galleries in metropolitan areas.
- Annually, more than 5,100 volunteers donate their time and expertise to small-to-medium public galleries. Quantified, the value of this volunteer labour is $15.9 million.
National Public Galleries Alliance members
The Australian Public Galleries Snapshot is a research initiative prepared by Museums & Galleries Queensland and Public Galleries Association of Victoria on behalf of the National Public Galleries Alliance.